Saturday, July 25, 2009

Is it an Emergency?

Too often, I don't know the difference between a trivial outer event or situation and an emergency. Oh, I frequently know the difference intellectually but not on an emotional, feeling level. When that strong link feeling of emergency is present, anything that is going on during the day seems to be of paramount importance e.g. getting a certain task done, doing a complete round of calisthenics or returning a phone call.

I am learning from our Method that I can challenge my belief that something is an emergency through commanding my muscles not to do the thing (or do it slower) I feel I must do and bear the temporary discomfort of an impulse being frustrated. I am not a prisoner of the dictates of my mind. My demanding thoughts can be challenged.

I want to be a free human being and our Method, I believe, is a road map to having freedom within myself. It is a pathway for regaining self-management of my inner environment. Sometimes, it takes the will to bear torture. But our founder, Dr. Abraham Low, said that torture can be borne for a good purpose. To become free from the tyranny of my own thinking seems to qualify, doesn't it? So I will persist and persevere and endorse myself as I go along.

Look, I want to see things as they are. Is it an emergency or a triviality? The Method provides me a way to discern the difference. As I do that, it is gradually becoming clearer to me that I have very very few emergencies - just "worked up" trivialities that feel like emergencies.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a good point. And it applies to Inner Environment as well as Outer Environment. I know how easy it is for me to take my own dear self too seriously, for instance when I have a strong-link symptom like lowered feelings, my tendency is to react: Oh, no! Emergency emergency! This is one of the toughest habits for me to break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cliff--are you the "Cliff Brown whose efforts in compiling these Wisdoms made this volume [The Wisdom of Dr. Low] possible"?

    ReplyDelete