Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Is an apartment flood an emergency?

Not compared to my mental health! Today, my wife ran a bath and forgot that the water was running for 30 to 45 minutes and one half of our apartment was flooded. I was definitely worked up with symptoms of anger, anxiety, fear. I was startled and couldn't believe this had happened. I spotted pretty quickly distressing but not dangerous, it wasn't an emergency, I can take the clean up process in part acts and command my muscles in a way to not work myself up further. Also spotted some averageness in that this type of thing happens to others and you have to deal with it whether it comes from fate or negligence. Nothing important was permanently water damaged. My wife did something that irritated me but not to irritate me; she was plenty upset with herself for her forgetfulness. I felt better after I got into the cleaning up process but symptoms continued on various levels for some time. It is now late evening and a lot of progress has been made. I see more deeply that regardless of what happens, I have a choice whether to work something up or not, to see it as exceptional or not, to command the muscles or not, to spot or not, etc. The will says yes or no. Before Recovery, I would have gone into panic/emergency mode and stayed in major symptoms for a longer period. I am not Mr. calmness at this moment but I am doing better and feel that dealing with this experience has strengthened my nervous fiber.

8 comments:

  1. Having been through flooding a number of times, I can sure empathize with the difficulty of the situatio. My heart goes out to you. You can't be comfortable in an uncomfortable situation, but comfort is a want and not a need. We can bear the discomfort in order to gain comfort later. And every act of self control leads to a greater measure of self respect and greater self confidence. Good job, Cliff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, John, for the feedback and support.

    All my best,

    Cliff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well-done, Cliff! As you said, it is a triviality compared to your mental health. And (unfortunately) these things happen in everyday life. All of which doesn't stop it from being a nuisance, but it's discomfort you can bear. Keep endorsing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS Love the humor: "Not Mr Calmness" right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Cliff. Are you endorsing for this? You definitely should be! You could be "scolding" your wife, but you are choosing peace over power and avoiding the symbolic victory. At first I thought, "Flooded apartment? That's no triviality!" but in reality, you're right. It truly is not the end of the world. Hey, at least the floors got washed :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Endorse for every part act & for continuing to spot. I sense your inner endorsement in the narrative. I've recently had a flood and a fire! What's next? I asked my neighbor (who had called the fire department), "Pestilence?" she said, having a great sense of humor. Everything is a triviality compared to my mental health.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, everyone, for the support and feedback.
    I gave the example again at my meeting last night and it occured to me that once the water was turned off, any possible sense of emergency was over with in that there was no further emergency action to take; just start the clean up at a good average pace but not an emergency, frenetic, hyper pace.

    All my best,

    Cliff Brown

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Cliff, hope it's going well, in part acts with lots of endorsing in between, at a good average pace since we know hurry is poison to us NPs.

    ReplyDelete